It's nearly the weekend so how about a low calorie cake, a sort of half treat!
Makes 12-16 slices Ready in 2 hours
- 2 lemons
- 3 medium eggs
- 200g fructose
- 55g plain flour
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
How to cook low-calorie lemon and almond cake
1. Put the lemon in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Halve the lemon, remove the pips, then purée in a blender, skin and all.
3. Preheat the oven to 170C. Oil a 20cm, round springform cake tin and line with a disc of baking parchment.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and thick.
5. Fold in the flour, baking powder, almonds and lemon purée.
6. Pour into the tin and bake for one hour until the top is golden.
7. Do keep an eye on it for the last 15 mins as fructose sugar is slightly more likely to catch. The cake will be fairly dark though.
8. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a rack and cool completely.
This recipe came from a Channel 4 programme some years ago called 'Cook yourself thin'.