The weekend fast approaches and just incase it rains AGAIN lets cook Lime and Blueberry drizzle dream cake, then we can console ourselves with a huge slice of cake and a nice cup of New England coffee!
Lime and Blueberry drizzle dream cake.
A delicious twist on traditional lemon drizzle cake. For a round cake, use a 20cm springform tin and cook for 1 hour 5 minutes.
Prep 25mins Total time 1hr 15mins
The cake will keep for two days in an airtight container and freezes well uniced.
Serves 12 (maybe 4!)
220g soft butter
250g castor sugar
4 large eggs
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 limes
For the lime drizzle
juice of 2 large limes
100g icing sugar, sifted
For the icing
5 tsp lime juice
125g icing sugar sifted
zest of 1 lime
1. Preheat the oven to 180c, fan 160c, gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 20cm square tin with non stick baking paper. Beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer or electric hand whisk,until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time,beating well in between. If the mixture starts to look curdled, add a tablespoon or so of the flour and beat like mad until the mixture comes together again.
2. Gently fold in all but one tablespoon of the flour, the baking powder and a pinch of salt. Toss the blueberries in the reserved tablespoon of flour, then fold these and the lime zest into the mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture into the tin, smooth it down and pop it into the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the thickest part comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes or so.
4. Mix together the ingredients for the drizzle. using a thin skewer, poke holes in the top of the cake, then spoon the drizzle all over and leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
5. Turn the cold cake out onto a serving plate. For the icing, mix the lime juice and the icing sugar together and drizzle all over the cake. Scatter over the lime zest.
6. Make a cup of New England coffee, visit Glenfinlas Coffee the only place in the U.K where you can buy New Engalnd coffee. Two of my favourites are Hazelnut Creme and Cinnamon Hazelnut.
7. If you close your eyes whilst drinking and eating, you could imagine you are at,
and The Inn at Mill Falls, Meredith New Hampshire, New england.
Enjoy, I know I will.